[SunRay-Users] Question about uttsc kiosk endless connects (when logged out from wts)
Fuerle, Thomas
2011-04-12 21:21:11 UTC
Hi List,

default kiosk: uttsc ts2008 (which is a wts)

our WTS admin is complaining that he gets endless requests from Sun Rays where e.g user logs out and goes home

the nice Apr 12 23:13:34 srss05.w.oenb.co.at Sun Ray Connector proxy:[14467]: [ID 855542 user.error] Child closed socket prematurely, session shutdown in messages (endless entries in the messages file)

so for wts it looks like every 30 secs somebody presses ctrl-alt-del, which is quite noisy with 200 sun rays connected. Does anybody have a good idea how to stop this, because the sun ray server is eager running its connects on and on. With our previous thin client after 6 login trys it stopped and showed a "reconnect" button, that's what I'm looking for. With Sun Ray 3 with the power button is much easier, because user mostly pressing the button when they leave, but the sun ray 2 does drive us crazy, which me mostly have.

Appreciate your feedback, Thomas
Damien R Plunkett
2011-04-13 16:09:31 UTC
Thomas,

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds very normal. Server 2008 will drop a remote desktop connection after 30 seconds of inactivity and SunRay will immediately re-initiate that connection. We actually saw a performance hit on our Windows Servers when all of our clients would re-connect. To get around this, we're using something similar to what Craig Bender blogged about on Think Thin: "Cam Chooser Application" http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/cam_chooser_application. But, instead of giving the users an option we just display a nicely formatted button that looks like the Windows Server 2008 login screen. When they click on the button it initiates a uttsc connection to the 2008 TS. This relieves the load on the 2008 server by only connecting when a user is sitting in front of a DTU. Though, I do believe it is advised that you don't use this method because some of the features will be deprecated or even removed in future releases of SunRay, but ours is working well at the moment.

If you would like me to pass on the scripts we're using I'd be happy to.

Damien

2011-04-13 17:02:16 UTC
Craig Bender
2011-04-13 17:50:23 UTC
Oracle needs to create a front-end to SRWC Kiosk. This will solve this
problem and is also mandatory to enter your credentials before seeing
the Windows login screen if you want to use Session directory or
autoreconnect.

The 30 seconds is actually two minutes, and it's the mandatory max
allowed time to sit at the login screen.

uttsc kiosk session supports a timeout that will cause the Sun Ray to
tear down the kiosk session after x amount of time has expired. This is
the -t <timeout in seconds> option that you can put in the Kiosk
arguments followed by a -- then the actual uttsc args.

This timeout defaults to 1800 seconds which is 30 minutes. This means
that a Sun Ray will connect and disconnect a minimum of 15 times before
the session gets torn down. Add probably a 5 second respite from the
connect disconnect sequence while the Kiosk session gets torn down and
recreated, and then it starts again. Multiply this by the number of
DTUs and it's easy to see why it would be very desirable to change this
behavior.

Until there is an official front-end to SRWC's Kiosk Script, you can do
one of the two things:

The first option would be to lower the timeout to whatever you desire.
If you wanted a max of 6 attempts then you would set the timeout to 720
(or fewer) seconds using the -t <timeout> option in the kiosk args.

In able to stop the actual session tear down from happening, you could
edit the uttsc kiosk script (note, not supported, you should copy it and
run an new kiosk session type) and put in a Zenity dialog box that
stated that a max number of connections had been attempt. Until this
dialog was acknowledge, the Sun Ray session would basically just sit
there and not keep retrying.

To do this you would edit /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/uttsc/uttsc

Find this section:

theDifference=`expr $theEndTime - $theStartTime`
if [ $theDifference -ge $theTimeout ] ; then
logger -i -p user.debug -t $theModule \
"Timeout '$theTimeout' has elapsed - exiting."
exit 0
fi

Make it look like this:

theDifference=`expr $theEndTime - $theStartTime`
if [ $theDifference -ge $theTimeout ] ; then
logger -i -p user.debug -t $theModule \
"Timeout '$theTimeout' has elapsed - exiting."
zenity --info --text "Maximum number of connections made without a
logon. Press OK to continue."
exit 0
fi

The second option would be to write a complete Zenity front-end that
would allow session directory to work by providing the users credentials
in the command line. I've written this for a couple of customers and
they enjoy it. If you are interested in trying it out, let me know and
I'll post it on Think Thin

Curtis Cunningham
2011-04-13 18:45:52 UTC
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Craig Bender <***@oracle.com>wrote:
[snip]
The second option would be to write a complete Zenity front-end that would
allow session directory to work by providing the users credentials in the
command line. I've written this for a couple of customers and they enjoy
it. If you are interested in trying it out, let me know and I'll post it on
Think Thin
one up vote for this.
--
Curtis Cunningham
web: c <http://curtiscunningham.com>urtiscunningham.com
Fuerle, Thomas
2011-04-21 13:25:43 UTC
Hi Craig,

I used the approach described with the zenity box and reduced the timeout with -t 300 to 5 minutes and this works perfect, I appreciate.

I would say, there is nothing else I need.

Some kind of box with entering your credentials is not that good, as we want to use smartcard pin authentication with Athena Cards as soon as Oracle provides us with the software stack for extended ADPU cards. Maybe you could push there a bit, we are desperately waiting for more than a year now for this software and I still get only no clear signs when it comes (was expected for beginning of 2011).

kind regards, thomas

Thomas Fuerle
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
I put something together inspired from http://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/coreservices/ but mine was much simpler and consisted of a "Click here to Start" button that launched uttsc.

[...]

--=_7fc3ab04-ddc7-4ecc-ac22-6735ce13cdd3